Some more traditional holiday goodies from Wilma Drake. These Fruit Ice Box Cookies dotted with candied cherries make you think of Christmas. These old fashioned cookies are a holiday favourite. Make them ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze, and then just slice and bake as needed, it’s a quick treat for holiday pop-ins with family and friends.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- ¾ cup red candied cherries chopped fine
- ½ cup walnuts chopped fine
- Thoroughly mix ingredients together (except for candied cherries and walnuts).
- Once mixed well add candied cherries and walnuts and again mix thoroughly.
- Divide dough in half. Using wax paper, shape into rolled up logs.
- Freeze over night.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice rolled cookie dough when frozen, about ⅛ inch thickness.
- Place on nonstick baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes, until the outside edge of the cookie begins to color. Remove and cool completely.